Skip to main content

Military Options


All males, including legal noncitizens, must register for the draft when they turn 18 years of age.  The required forms are available in the Counseling Office or at the local post office.

The U.S. Armed Forces have collaborated on a website ( that gives brief descriptions of the Montgomery G.I. Bill, bonus College Funds, reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) scholarships, and the U.S. Service Academies.  It also answers questions about military life and links you to sites with more complete information.


  • What do I need to do in order to enter the military?
  • What is on the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocation Aptitude Battery)?
  • How can I best prepare for the ASVAB?
  • Can I receive help on improving my scores on the ASVAB?
  • How many times can I take the ASVAB?
  • What is my commitment if I enter this branch of the military?
  • Can I sign up again when my first service obligation is finishing?
  • How long is boot camp and what is it like?
  • Where would I be stationed?
  • What determines the training I receive?
  • Can I receive more than one type of training?  Do I have any control over my assignment?
  • Are there any jobs that women can not do?
  • What kind of pay do I receive while I am in the military?  What kind of raises could I expect?
  • What are the educational benefits that I receive when I am in the military as well as when I leave the service?  Can I go to school while I am in the service?
  • How do I become an officer?
  • What is the toughest part of being in the service?
  • What are some of the benefits that we have not talked about?
  • Do you offer ROTC?  What are the advantages of going through ROTC instead of regular enlistment?


If a student wanted to start an  ROTC program while in high school, they  can join a program at Novato HS by calling Leo Pfeifer at 898-1180.

ROTC Scholarships are very competitive.  They cover all college costs and a small stipend for one to four years.  Upon graduation, one is generally obligated to the military for the same number of years that they received the scholarship.  They enter the military as an officer.

Regular ROTC is less competitive.  Interested students apply during their first year of college and receive scholarships for their junior and senior year.  Upon graduation, obligation to the military varies.


In order to enter any branch of the military, one must pass the ASVAB.  Passing scores vary with each branch.  The ASVAB is given each February as a career tool for all interested juniors and seniors.  No names are given to the military unless the student gives permission.  The Career Center has an ASVAB preparation book available for check out.