Skip to main content

Work Permits

School Rules

Work permits are required for students ages 14-17 who wish to work. The San Rafael School District’s rules regarding legal work hours for students are:

  • 14-15 yrs. can legally work 18 hours/week, not past 7:00pm at night on a night before a school day, and no more than a 3 hour shift on a night before a school day..  

  • 16-17 yrs. can legally work a total of 28 hours/week, not past 10:00pm on a night before a school day and no more than a 4 hour shift on a school day.  

If a student continues on the same job during the summer andinto the fall, he/she must renew their permit by September 15th of the new school year. Students need a new permit for every new job that they obtain as long as they are under the age of 18 years.



1. Print or pick up the Request for Work Permit Form from the ccc (linked below).

2. Fill out the form completely. Once it is complete with the 2 required signatures (1 from parent/guardian and another from your boss/manager).

3.. Bring the completed form and exchange it for a work permit to the college and career center.

Request for Work Permit Application

Students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA to be eligible to work, with no current D's or F's.


  • Minors 14 through 17 years of age must have a “Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor” (B1-1) on file with the school district of attendance when working on school days.
  • Minors age 18 who have not graduated are required to attend school a minimum of four (4) hours per week. See the face of the permit for the hours this minor can work.
  • Students in approved work experience education programs may work up to 8 hours per day on days when school is in session. An agreement must be on file for work experience education exemptions.
  • All labor laws applicable to other employees of the business will apply to the minor’s employment.
  • Workers Compensation Insurance is required for the student when these provisions of law apply to your industry.
  • Minors exempted from the permit regulations are those working at newspaper delivery or babysitting or agricultural workers working on premises owned or operated by the parent or guardian.
  • Minors are not permitted to work in the following occupations: (FLSA)*
    1. Explosives
    2. Motor vehicles
    3. Coal mining
    4. Logging and saw milling
    5. Power-driven woodworking machines
    6. Radiation exposure
    7. Power-driven hoists
    8. Power-driven metal forming, punching and shearing mach.
    9. Other mining
    10. Slaughter, meat packing
    11. Power bakery machines
    12. Power-driven paper prod, machines
    13. Mfg. brick, tile products
    14. Power saw and shears
    15. Wrecking, demolition
    16. Roofing
    17. Excavation operations
  • Exemptions are available for Order Nos. 5,7,8,10,12,14,16 and 17 when an agreement is on file with the school indicating the student is in an approved work experience education program and the tasks are incidental to regular employment (FLSA)*
  • Student ages and hours per day and per week:


12-13 8 per day/ 40 per week (IWC jobs only) 0 per day/ 0 per week
14-15 8 per day/ 40 per week 3 per day/18 per week (FLSA)*
14-15 8 per day/ 40 per week 4 per day/28 per week (IWC)*
16-17 8 per day/ 48 per week 4 per day/28 per week


  •  12-13 years, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. on nonschool days only (IWC jobs only)
  • A day of rest from work is required if the total hours employed per week exceed 30 hours or if more than 6 hours are worked on any one day during the week (school attendance is not considered employment).
  • Minor’s work must be performed between specific hours:

14-15 years, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (6 a.m.-10 p.m. IWC jobs only)             (Summer 6/1-Labor Day, 7 a.m. -9 p.m. – FLSA)* 16-17 years, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.             (12:30 a.m. when no school next day – IWC)*

  • Students in approved work experience education programs may work on school days to 12:30 a.m. Parental and school permission are required and the adult minimum wage must be paid for the hours from 10:00 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. 
  • The prevailing minimum wage for the business must be paid to the minor. Check with IWC or FLSA for rates in your business.
  • When regulations of two enforcement agencies differ, the more restrictive regulation applies. Either the Industrial Relations Division of the Industrial Welfare Commission (IWC) or the U.S. Department of Labor- Fair Standards Act (FLSA) can assist you in determining when a regulation applies to your industry.